Podcast: Wailing On These Hoes

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Invisible Man

I read that book once. I dug it. Never thought that I would BE that shit though...

From what I recall his invisibility was a figurative one, rather social, as is mine. I tried to fight against it for a while (just like he did) but thus far I have been quite unsuccessful. I have not yet arrived to the point where I live in a basement drenched in artificial light but who knows what 2011 might bring. Anyway, his "invisibility" stemmed from the fact that he was a black man in the white man's America. His identity was stripped from him. He had no name. I have a name... it just doesn't get called that often. He was an "educated" man. I am an "educated" woman... to an extent. I don't have a degree or anything. I just read a lot and know a couple obscure words that I can't help but effortlessly throw around. Kinda like a street magician who has a tendency to want to weird out unassuming passers by with pulling random things out of them that they were certain could not have been there before. It's sick really...

Anyway, what the hell was I talking about? Me. Right. See? Even I forget I'm here. It wasn't always this way though. When I was among the student race, I seemed to be somewhat visible. Now that I am not and wholly unable to pursue that lifestyle any further, I'm in socio-economic purgatory. I don't have a car and even if I did, I'd be pushing that bitch down the street having no money with which to procure the necessary fuel and maintenance commodities. Without said car I am barred from any activity that would include other people and take place somewhere outside of my parents' house since my surrounding communities interest me not and those that do require me to be mobile. Without a job I haven't much reason to venture from beneath this roof anyway. My incessant search for employment has yielded no result, due to my undesirability as an employee without a piece of paper that would let an employer know that I exist. I could go back to school if I had the money to pay what I owe the school I left behind. Because I can't pay the outlandish balance, I can't go back there (or anywhere else for that matter) due to my state of unsatisfactory financial standing. Meanwhile, my credit suffers as I am unable to repay the debt I accrued while attending that institution to which I cannot return. In my inability to proceed any further than where I am simply by acting, I have fallen from anyone's radar who is in motion... which seems to be everyone.

I have been pouring over my invisibility in an effort to correct it, but as for solutions I have acquired none. With no remedy in sight, I feel like I should be taking advantage of this phenomenon instead of loathing my nonexistence. I should be able to accomplish a number of extraordinary things since no one is really looking... things I could not at the time when eyes were fixed on me. Since your backs are so stubbornly turned to me, you are more at my mercy than I am yours. Now that I see its benefits, I believe I have more interest in my inconvenient condition than I had before.

Please, by all means, return to whatever you were doing before I so impudently interrupted. I'm kinda busy now, so... yeah. I'm sure you remember the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment